find

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Mon Jun 7 11:27:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 13:12, Andy Green wrote:

> On Monday 07 June 2004 11:59, Chadley Wilson wrote:
>
> > Can someone direct me to the light please.
>
> - -name ?
Thanks Andy and Cam for replying but I have checked the man pages for
the solution but the problem is with the file name being in brackets, I
have tried using the escape character to get it to search for files with
the brakets but it keeps spitting out  and error as in my first mail.
The problem is that it is trying to interpret the the curve brakets and
not search for the filename with the curve brackets.
Does anyone else have a suggestion please.

The senario is as follows,

eg I have ten files called (file)a (file)b (file)c etc.
I need to search for (file)b.
according to the man pages the correct parameters are as follows,
find /home \(file\)*
use esc character to get it to interpret the search incl brackets
or
find /home '(file)*'
this interprets the everything between the quotes as is.
but I still get invalid predicate.

I am confused, why oh why do people save all their files with brackets!
Chadley Wilson
Soon 2 B RHCE
Linux Rocks
Welcome to my world.