(no subject)

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Mon Jun 7 12:53:50 UTC 2004

Behold, David Balazic <david.balazic at hermes.si> hath decreed:
> > Why don't you renice dvdauthor to a lower priority so that your mouse
> > and other bits of the OS can still function?
> > It worked beautifully. :-)
> > I used
> > renice 5 -p 3203 (3203 being the PID for mecoder at the time)
>
> Why doesn't Fedora work out of the box. Why should the user fix it ?
>
> And then people wonder why it is not a success on the desktop ...

My limited experience with burning CDs on Windows is that its desktop
performance is also quite affected when encoding/burning stuff.

As for the original question, you could also probably write a shell
script to conveniently nice the encoding in the first place, so that
you don't have to use renice to change the priority on the fly...
'man nice'.

prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
"Every man is a mob, a chain gang of idiots."
                           - Jonathan Nolan, /Memento Mori/