FC2 and ATI 3.9.0 works but static...

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Mon Jun 7 15:41:12 UTC 2004

   Okay. It seems on my machine with a Radeon 9600XT
and ViewSonic VP201s that 1600x1200 isn't doable without
static even as low as 50 Hz refresh with the ATI fglrx
drivers. The static does decrease from longer horizontal
lines to single specks but never totally disappears.
However I did find that a minor reduction of resolution
to...

# 1592x1194 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 74.16 kHz; pclk: 159.59 MHz
Modeline "1592x1194_60.00"  159.59  1592 1696 1872 2152  1194 1195 1198 1236  -HSync +Vsync

was sufficient to totally eliminate the static and allow me to keep
a full 60 Hz refresh. I would note that I needed to add...

    Option "IgnoreEDID"                 "on"

to the Device section for the fglrx driver. Also make sure you
properly have your HorizSync and VertRefresh ranges set in the
Monitor section since IgnoreEDID will eliminate getting those
from the monitor. You will also want to drop any resolutions
from the Screen section for which you haven't explicitly added
a modeline. I generated my modelines at...

http://www.sh.nu/nvidia/gtf.php

                         Jack