FC2 Memory Requirements

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jun 7 18:25:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 19:13, Paul Vandenberg wrote:
> I just saw that FC2 has a minumum memory for graphical mode as 256MB,
> with a recommendation of 512MB. Mandrake 10 has a minimum of 64MB with
> 128MB recommended. What gives here? They have similar software
> included don't they?

This is something of a grey area. How do you decide on such a criteria?

As an example, I've got a 128MB Sony Vaio running FC2, but I wouldn't
entertain the idea of trying to run openoffice on it.
Last time I tried, I walked to the neighboroughing room, started it up
on my desktop, viewed the document I'd been emailed and walked back
to the laptop before it had even started.

That aside, it runs X fine, and I still use it quite a bit with a screen
full of gnome-terminals, xmms and a handful of other bits and pieces.

For todays bloaty generation of desktop apps though, I usually end up
switching to a 256MB Compaq Evo which puts up a much better fight.
It's still not as nice running evolution or the like as it is on my
desktop box, but it's still very useful for a large number of tasks.

So, what it all comes down to is what you intend to be doing.
For Mandrake to claim they can run a full gnome desktop in 64MB, with
applications like evolution/openoffice/mozilla etc at any reasonable
speed I find somewhat dubious.  I suspect the usage pattern they
expect of 'minimal' is somewhere in the region of the 'lots of
terminals' example I gave above, whereas the Fedora 'minimal' should
allow you to run those big apps without tearing your hair out waiting.

	Dave