[FC2] Automatically remove kernel modules?

Jeremy A. Rosengren jeremy at rosengren.org
Mon Jun 7 18:37:58 UTC 2004

Steve Snyder wrote:
> In earlier releases of RHL I used a cron job to periodically remove unused
> modules ("rmmod -as").  Now it appears that rmmod no longer does this,
> not does modprobe have a switch to remove unused modules.
>
> Are unused kernel modules automatically removed now?  If not, how does one
> remove modules that are no longer in use?
>
> Thanks.

man modprobe

"       -r --remove
               This option causes modprobe to remove, rather than insert
a module.   If  the  modules  it depends on are also unused, modprobe
will try to remove them, too.  Unlike insertion, more  than  one module
  can  be  specified on the command line (it does not make sense to
specify module parameters when removing modules).

               There is usually no reason to remove  modules,  but  some
  buggy modules require it.  Your kernel may not support removal of modules.

-- jeremy