FC2 Memory Requirements

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Mon Jun 7 18:48:39 UTC 2004

On 06/07/2004 02:19 PM, John Wendel wrote:

>On Monday 07 June 2004 11:13 am, Paul Vandenberg wrote:
>

>>I just saw that FC2 has a minumum memory for graphical mode as 256MB,
>>with a recommendation of 512MB. Mandrake 10 has a minimum of 64MB with
>>128MB recommended. What gives here? They have similar software
>>included don't they?
>>
>>Paul
>>

>I've got FC2 running well on a old 128 MB PIII here. It could use some more
>memory to reduce swapping, but it is completely usable, just a little slow.
>
>Regards,
>
>John

And as a regular Mandrake 10 user at home, I'll add that Mandrake with
64 or 128 would most likely be pretty slow, too. Of course you can do a
very minimal install. Probably it's more about what they expect you to
install. Fedora is a little more about "testing," while Mandrake is a
little more about "using," and Fedora is a little more about servers
while Mandrake is a LOT about desktops. In both categories there's an
implication that you'll have more installed and running at the same time
on Fedora. Not that you have to.