Netiquette Primer, please read! (was: Re: European law)

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 7 19:48:07 UTC 2004

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 23:22:10 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> Please keep in mind that newsgroups and mailing lists have been around
> since at least 1989 (the earliest I can remember them) and surely long
> before then. Netiquette has evolved the way it has for a reason,
> snipperoo)
>(here's a basic explanation:
>
> In one-to-one conversation, you most likely remember the content of the
> entire conversation. (snipperee)
>
> *NONE* of that is true on mailing lists and newsgroups. .... So two
> major changes need to be made in the way you post messages in these
> one-to-many environments:
		(snipper-aaa)

> Trim your posts, keep things in chronological order. Two of the most
> basic and long-term rules of online communities.
		(snipperoo)

> Hopefully this short explanation is useful to someone.

Very! If you will permit, I at least (whose name for the purpose ought to
be legion, and may really be) will forward your whole (unsnipped) to my
own machine, put it in a boilerplate file, and pass it around whenever the
occasion arises, as it does only too often.

That is as fine an exposition of the point about top- vs. bottom-posting
as I can recall having read. I'd rather use it verbatim, with your
permission, than reword it; I see no need nor room for any change.

If I presume aright, you'd likely prefer that your name but not your
indicia remain with it, lest some luser forward it to a spammer. OK by
you?

--
Beartooth Implacable, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Work is for people who can't hunt.