My DELL 8250 doesn't see my Soundblaster card

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 12:09:18 UTC 2004

Ken Jones wrote:
> I have a DELL 8250 machine with a Creative Sound Blaster Live! Series
> [WDM] card.
> The machine is dual boot.  XP on one disk. Fedora Core 1 completely up
> to date (via yum) on the other.  XP sees my sound card fine and makes
> lovely music.  Fedora never sees the card.  (Neither does SUSE 9.1 Live.)

Unfortunately, Dell ship at least some of their computers with something
that's called a Creative Sound Blaster Live that *isn't* compatible with
the SB Live everyone else sells. See Q. C2 on
http://opensource.creative.com/sc_faq.html for details.

Does lspci -n | grep 1102 return anything? If it does, do you have an
1102:0002 (good), an 1102:0006 (bad), or something else? (You'll
probably have an 1102:700x as well...)

If you have an 1102:0006, you've got one of the non-standard Dell
variants. Support is ifdeffed out in
/usr/src/linux/sound-2.6.6/sound/pci/emu10k1/emu10k1.c with the comment
/* FIXME: not working! */

This probably isn't the answer you wanted. Sorry.

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | Everyone is in the best seat.
westexe.demon.co.uk    | -- John Cage (composer of 4 minutes 22 seconds)