network sniffer

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Tue Jun 8 14:41:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 16:43, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 10:24, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > Hi ther fellow penguins,
> >
> > could some give me advise please,
> >
> > I would like to use a tool in the consol with an interface that allows
> > me to monitor connections throughout my intranet. It need to be able to
> > intercept telnet and rlogin connections and display output from those
> > connection.
> > What can I use that is secure?
>
> Something like ethereal?
>
> But that won't do you much good in a switched environment unless you
> have admin privileges on the switches and spent time to learn more about
> general networking.
>
> And if you are trolling for clear text passwords that is just not nice.
> :)

I have banned the use of rlogin and telnet and the other insecure tools
and need to be able to catch employees using them.
As we have had a few crakers on our network previously.

My training instructor showed me a tool that ran in terminal with a blue
background that actually listed all active connections on the network
(intranet in my case) he selected one and showed us how the text was
transferred unencrypted, but I can for the life of me remeber what it is
called.
Any ideas.

> --
> Scot L. Harris