NVidia driver on FC1 (tech prob not idiological)

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 16:04:22 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 08 Jun 2004 3:18 pm, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:33:39PM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Hi folks.
> >
> > I've just tried to install the NVidia drivers onto my laptop without any
> > success.  I downloaded the file from the NVidia site and ran
> >
> > sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
> >
> > This ran fine, said it couldn't find the correct kernel interface, so it
> > built one, and then finished without errors.
> >
> > I then made the appropriate changes to the XF86Config and ran startx.
> >
> > Unfortunately it didn't work. All I got was my screen staying in text
> > mode with the screen having a black background with white block
> > characters all over it.  <Alt>+<Ctrl>+<Del> reboots the pc fine.  I've
> > rebooted, re-installed and re-checked everything but I can't see what the
> > problem is.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > I've put up all the files I can think of here:
> >
> > http://www.stainburn.com/XF86Config.orig	-- original config
> > http://www.stainburn.com/XF86Config		-- amended for NVidia
> > http://www.stainburn.com/XF86Config.diff	-- diff of the 2
> >
> > http://www.stainburn.com/XFree86.0.log		-- X startup log
> >
> > --
> > Gary Stainburn
>
> Looks to me like you card cannot support that high a resolution. The
> sections in your XFree86.conf look ok except for the very high
> resolution. Did you change cards in the process? Do you have a card
> that can use the nvidia driver? It seems strange that both
> XFree86.config files have the same Horiz and Vertical resolution and
> or refresh rates. What card are you using? Many questions indeed.

I've not changed the card, it's in a laptop and I think they'd get upset :)
In WinXP it's reported as:

NVidia GeForce FX Go5600 (Sony)

and runs at 1400x1050 32bit and the monitor tab shows a 60Hz refresh rate.

As the files above show, I didn't change any resolution or frequencies etc. in
the config files.

HTH

BTW, I'm having trouble with sound crashing at the moment and someone has
suggested that it maybe because ACPI is not in the kernel (the battery icon
is disabled which tends to coroborate this).  Could this have anything to do
with it maybe?

Gary
--
Gary Stainburn