Turning of the screensavers

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jun 8 19:23:08 UTC 2004

Alan Horn wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Shoshana Rosenthal wrote:
>

>> MY PC, running core 1. hangs up many nights with no obvious reason to
>> me. The message on the monitor sometime, not always is "No signal"
>> other times the monitor is just frozen with a screensaver.
>> Someone suggested that maybe the screensavers hang the machine.
>> I don't know what starts the screensvars, therefore I don't know
>> how to turn it off. Is there a simple way of turning screensaver off.
>>
>> TIA
>> Shoshana
>>

> If you're using the default window environment with fedora, under
> controlpanels/screensavers you can alter the settings (IIRC.. I'm not a
> big fedora desktop user)
>
> We've had something similar here with latest model dell dimension 2400
> desktop systems. The assumption we're working on is that some (maybe GL
> related) screensaver tickles a bug in the X server.
>
> The machines are always still alive and on the network, just the gfx
> head is unresponsive.
>
> We've set the screensaver to one kind (a simple one.. or just blank
> screen) and the problem seems to go away.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Al

I will agree that it is to do with the GL screensavers.

I have a problem on my home computer on one account.   I have to
disable all the GL screensavers.  I haven't traced the problem yet so
I haven't entered a bug report.  This is FC-1.  Anything that uses DRI
from what I could see was locking the terminal.

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace gets me out.

Her screen resolution is set different than the system default.

--
Robin Laing