Alsa sound problem Solved

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Jun 9 02:18:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:53:05 +1000, david walcroft wrote:

> In FC 2 I did not have sound after installing and detection of my card
> (Audigy-emu10k1) in firstboot,I tried most things - alsamixer,kmix,aumix
> Gnome-alsamixer,chmod's on /dev/snd* but nothing worked, I knew alsaconf
> was not in the alsa-utils.rpm anymore so I did a cvs alsa-utils from
> Alsa.org and compiled/installed.Now I have sound and checking my lsmod,
> modprobe.conf there is big difference between the new and old setup's.
>
> So I am curious as to why alsaconf was pulled from alsa-utils when it's
> possible that sound will work better with it included.
>
>    Thanks   david

What big differences exactly?   If you can't post a diff, attach what
you've got right now.

alsaconf doesn't know about /etc/modprobe.conf.dist

And it doesn't insert alsactl calls into /etc/modprobe.conf either,
because the ALSA 'alsasound' initscript is expected to do that
(and that one is not needed/used with Fedora Core 2).

The only interesting thing in the alsasound script is, that it attempts
at setting default volume levels.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.6-1.422