Root Password Problem

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Wed Jun 9 09:40:49 UTC 2004

david wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> Im having a problem with FD1.
>
> The roots password has been changed & I cant reset it?

If you can get access to the system and change to root privileges, then do so.
Then set the password to what you want: `passwd` is the command.

If you cannot get access to the system and change to root privileges, you have
to reboot into single user mode:

reboot the system
hold grub or lilo to not boot the default, add the parameter " S " or " 1 " to
boot into runlevel 1, the single user runlevel.

Now you will get a prompt with root privileges: set the password tot what you
want with `passwd`.

If you still donnot succeed, you need to boot with a rescue system, mount the
root filesystem and edit the passwordfile with `vipw` (if that's not available,
you can also edit /etc/passwd but that's verry picky if you make errors). In the
password file, remove the password for the root account. see `man vipw` or `man
password` for details.