S3 and PAE ?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 12:35:25 UTC 2004

GianPiero Puccioni wrote:
> I just installed FC2 on a dual Xenon machine (kernel 2.6.5-1.358smp) and
> when it starts it writes:
>
> ACPI: S3 and PAE do not like each other for now, S3 disbled.

I'm surprised no-one's answered this, so I'l "have a go".

Yes, I get it too, and I'd be surprised if anyone using the stock SMP
kernel and ACPI *didn't* get it.

To clarify, ACPI S3 is a sleep state (suspend to RAM, I believe), used
for when you want the system to run on less power. It's mainly aimed at
laptops and systems that have to come quickly from a "suspend" state
to fully working.

PAE is Intel's extensions to allow 32 bit processors to access more than
4 GB of memory.

The warning comes in arch/i386/kernel/acpi/sleep.c. I'm no kernel
programmer but all that happens is that if PAE and ACPI have both been
compiled in (as they have been in the SMP kernel), then the
warning is automatically printed, and the system doesn't try to set up
S3.

So there's nothing to worry about.

James.

--