Turning off gconfd

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Wed Jun 9 14:07:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 14:48, Jose Luis Ricardo Chavez wrote:
> Douglas Furlong wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 13:10, Jose Luis Ricardo Chavez wrote:
> >

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>is there a reason to have gconfd running in background? I don't use
> >>GNOME, how can I
> >>disable it?
> >>

> >Do you use any "gnomafied" apps? If you do then I believe it would still
> >need to be running for them to pic up their settings (if my guess is
> >right as to what gconfd actually does ;))
> >

> Thanks for your answer Douglas, I rarely use GNOME apps but use heavily GTK
> apps like firefox/thunderbird/gvim. Do you know if gconfd is used in FC2
> to capture
> all GNOME/GTK/KDE configuration events? From time to time my custom KDE
> configuration gets replaced by the default (Bluecurve) conf without
> (apparent) reason.
>
>  - Jose Luis
I am about as far from an expert as one can get, so I'm not too sure how much help
I can be on this.

However I would doubt that KDE would be picking it's settings from the
GNOME Configuration Daemon, which I assume gconfd stands for.

I also doubt that ALL "gnome" applications use it either, as well as the
GTK ones (gtk is just a tool set for the gui right?). I think it may be
a case of trail and error. Unless some one else on the list can help.

Doug