End of life for FC1?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jun 9 14:41:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 10:06, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> Considering all of the problems that FC 2 has been having, I wonder if
> Redhat would consider changing the published schedule so that a version of
> FC wouldn't EOL until the second-following version was released.  IOW, FC
> 1 shouldn't EOL until FC 3 is released, and FC 2 shouldn't EOL until FC 4
> is released.  That might give folks more peace of mind, that they aren't
> forced to upgrade to a buggy release like FC 2.
>
> Ben

Warning Warning rant mode being activated!  :)

I don't want to step on anyones toes here but I would like to make a
comment regarding the topic in this thread.

Why do so many people feel they are forced to upgrade automatically
every time a new release of the OS comes out?  Is there some fear that
if they don't have the latest and greatest updates that some how their
systems are spontaneously going to stop working?

While I have two systems running FC2 I still have one running RH9 and my
main system runs RH8.  I don't have any compelling reason to upgrade my
RH8 system.  It is working just fine.  I don't have it exposed to the
big bad Internet, I have a firewall that provides very nice protection
against that type of stuff.  For the things I need that box to do it
does them just fine.

At some point when Fedora has a version that IMHO is sufficiently stable
and offers something that I want to do on my main system then I will
consider upgrading.  But until then RH8 will work just fine.  I have
other boxes that I can load other OSes on to play with and sort out any
problems with the packages that I want to use.  I have one box that in
the past 6 months has had FreeBSD, Suse, RH9, FC1, FC2test2, FC2test3,
and FC2 on it.  But so far I have not seen anything that makes it a
requirement that I upgrade my main system from RH8.

Now if your thing is to spend time messing with upgrades and constantly
trying to keep your system working that is fine.  I guess some take
pride in being the first to load a new version on their systems.  Kudos
to them!

But don't feel you HAVE to upgrade because the version you are running
is being EOL'ed.  So don't stress overly much on it.  Take it easy and
relax a little.  Spend a little of that newly found spare time that you
used to use upgrading things to do some actual programming or play a
game or better yet go outside!  :)

Warning Warning rant mode being deactivated.

Wow, I feel better now!  <GRIN>

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

blithwapping:
	Using anything BUT a hammer to hammer a nail into the
	wall, such as shoes, lamp bases, doorstops, etc.
		-- "Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends