XFS filesystem size much less than partition size

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Wed Jun 9 15:11:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 05:57 -0700, John Daz wrote:
> Hello Friends,
> After installing Fedora core 2 with XFS filesystem, I
> observed that the filesystem size was always 12M
> regardless of the partition size. Even after running
> xfs_grow on the partition, the filesystem size is
> never more than 90% of the partition size. Does anyone
> know of a way that I can make the filesystem cover the
> entire partition space?
> John

I'm not familiar with the XFS filesystem, but ext2/3 reserve 5% of the
filesystem for the use of the root (or some other specified) user by
default. With ext2/3 you would use tune2fs to change this behavior.
Perhaps there is something similar going on in XFS, or perhaps the
"missing" space is the space required by the journal itself.

--
Chris Kloiber