screen shots (off topic)

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 9 16:18:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 11:21, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 10:34 -0400, Bob Chiodini wrote:

> > > Lots of interesting replies.  I haven't tried this myself, but you might
> > > try and connect another computer to the printer port with a crossover
> > > cable and set it to emulate a printer.  Then Press printscreen on the
> > > first computer during the boot process.
> >
> > Interesting idea, what would a printer crossover cable consist of?  Is
> > there a utility that can receive the data via a crossover cable?
>
> Maybe an "antique" laplink parallel cable would do?
>
> > One other thought.  Use the Print Screen key to a real printer and scan
> > in the results.
>
> There you go.
>
> --
> Chris Kloiber

I checked the pinout referenced by dalen in an earlier post, it looks
like laplink transfers data in 5 bit chunks.  That's all that is
available as input to a standard parallel port.

A screen dump would, ideally, require an 8 bit byte per character, but
you could probably get away with 6 (all caps and no graphics).  Anyway,
a laplink crossover cable would not do well, even if there existed
software to receive the data.

Does anyone know if an ECP/EPP parallel port can be put into 8 bit
bi-directional mode?  If so, a userspace parallel port utility should be
possible to grab a screen dump and display or save it.

Bob...