Program crashes with FC2 and GNOME desktop

Brian L Copp bcopp at utdallas.edu
Tue Jun 8 21:20:34 UTC 2004

Hi,

I did a full installation of Fedora Core 2 (x86-64) on my AMD64 system.
Actually, this is my first ever installation of Linux.  Every time I
start my system with the GNOME desktop, I get an error message saying
that "nautilus" has "quit unexpectedly," and it requests me to submit a
bug report.  I get a similar crash message when trying to change the
desktop background, browse the file system, or run the Epiphany Web
Browser.

These are just a few processes which I've tried to run through GNOME.
I'm sure there are more which will give me these errors.  Using the KDE
desktop, I don't get any of these error messages, but I prefer the look
and feel of GNOME.

Is there some kind of fix for these problems?  As it stands, the GNOME
desktop is almost unusable on my system.