FC2 & Dell Inspiron 7500 - newbie friendly?

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Wed Jun 9 21:51:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 08:41, Timothy Luoma wrote:
> I am looking to install FC2 on a Dell Inspiron 7500 (to dual boot w/
> WinXP).

I'm running FC2, dual boot with XP on a Dell Inspiron 600m - works
great.  Only problem with install was not detecting the sound card. I
ran Sound Card Detect from the System Settings menu to fix the problem.
(It was an upgrade from FC1)  I use an NTFS enabled kernel from
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ which allows read access from NTFS
but not write.

<snip>
> Someone suggested FC2, and I was wondering if you thought that the
> install/config was something that a newbie-Linux-installer could handle,
> or if there was another distro that you'd recommend instead?

Very easy install.  But read the FAQs at http://www.fedorafaq.org/
before starting.

> I see from the archives that others have installed on this hardware, so I
> know it can be done.  I guess I am looking for something like a
> "difficulty gauge" - how easy/difficult would it be to do this (assuming
> that WinXP is already installed on a separate partition, and FC2 would be
> installed into a 2nd partition (about 15gb m/l).

I used Partition magic to split the existing NTFS partition as well as
BootMagic.  The whole process only took a couple of hours.
--
Clifford Snow