mkswap on every boot

Andrew Robinson awrobinson at cox.net
Thu Jun 10 04:54:12 UTC 2004

jludwig wrote:

>>>My fstab has this for swap.  Is yours the same?
>>
>>>/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults
>>
>>0 0
>>
>>Except mine is hda1
>
> I have had swap partitions fail mount on (rare occasions) boot because
> of hard shutdowns. Could something be corrupting the swap partition on
> shutdown?

I'm late to this thread so I hope I'm not spewing nonsense. I have a
similar problem with LinuxPPC on my Mac clone. Turns out I forgot to set
the partition id to Linux swap (82?). I'm afraid to try to set it now
because I don't want to mess up my Mac partitions. So I have to run
mkswap and swapon when I boot into LinuxPPC.

HTH,

Andrew Robinson