wireless LAN

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Jun 10 21:01:12 UTC 2004

Stephane wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 00:42, matt warner wrote:
>

>>i'm using a compaq presario 2500 laptop with a built-in wireless
>>network card, and i'm having problems getting it to work using FC.  it
>>gives me this error at startup:
>>
>>Bringing up interface eth0:
>>Determining IP information for eth0...failed, no link present.  Check
>>cable?
>>
>>i would check the cables, but there are none to check, since it is a
>>wireless LAN.  i really like using FC2, and would rather not switchto
>>another distro if i don't have to.
>>

>Try activating the wireless card manually (System Settings - Network).

There has been a lot of discussion on this list about this problem, and
it seems to relate to built in cards as well as pcmcia cards.

I have seen 2 different fixes that seem to work for different people for
the boot-time problems.

1. Change the sequence of starting  the network and pcmcia so the card
is activated before the network is configured.

2.  Change the settiing in /etc/sysconfig/netowrk-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
from "ONBOOT='yes'  " to "ONBOOT='no'  ".  This will stop the interface
from being configured by the network script but it seems to be
configured when the card is activated anyway.

YMMV