fetchmail "X-Fetchmail-Warning" for mail from a mailinglist address

Matt Hansen helios82 at optushome.com.au
Fri Jun 11 00:53:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 09:37, James Wilkinson wrote:

> Could you post the "Received" headers from a typical list e-mail? It
> would make things much clearer.

Here's the headers from when it's passed from redhat's servers to my
ISP's mail servers to my server (with a couple details changed for
privacy):

by mail001.syd.optusnet.com.au (8.11.6p2/8.11.6) with ESMTP id
i5B0Lh819703 for <helios82 at optushome.com.au>; Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:21:44
+1000

So it goes: redhat -> my ISP mail server -> fetchmail -> my mail server
->procmail -> matt's mail spool.
Another interesting point I'm not sure about is why fetchmail thinks
matt at localhost is a multidrop account? .fetchmailrc only points to user
matt..

               mail0xx.syd.optusnet.com.au for helios82 at optushome.com.au

mail0xx.syd.optusnet.com.au is usually in the range mail001-mail012.
Also, mail.syd.optusnet.com.au is an alias for the canonical
mail.optusnet.comn.au

> Sometimes (for example, on my ISP, Demon) the name you use to access the
> server isn't what the server itself thinks it is called. In this case,
> you need to use the aka keyword to tell fetchmail what
> mail.optusnet.com.au thinks it is called. So you might have
> poll mail.optusnet.com.au proto pop3 aka mailstore
>      user 'helios82' there with password 'mypass' is user matt here
> if the POP3 server thinks it is called mailstore.

Well shouldn't the server be using its canonical name to reference
itself? As I wrote above, this is "mail.optusnet.com.au". However, if I
add an "aka syd.optusnet.com.au" to my .fetchmailrc this interestingly
changes the "X-Fetchmail-Warning" to:
match any local name.

This would reasonably assume that the "Received:" line containing
mail0xx.syd.optusnet.com.au is now being looked at and sees the
recipient address "helios82 at optushome.com.au" now instead of
fedora-list at redhat.com. Then I just out of curiosity added
"optushome.com.au" to the aka line and the warning changed to:
names

> If mail to you always comes through several mailservers, and not all of
> them have usable "received" headers, I believe that you can point "aka"
> at any one.

Does it sound correct to you to add an aka for "syd.optusnet.com.au" as
I wrote above? It's certainly made a difference with the warning
message. (But unfortunately didn't fix it..)

> There is a good reason for this behaviour: Fedora List e-mails have the
> line
>         by listman.util.phx.redhat.com (8.12.10/8.12.10) with ESMTP id
>         i56B8tNv007310 for <fedora-list at listman.util.phx.redhat.com>;
>         Sun, 6 Jun 2004 07:08:55 -0400
> which is obviously *before* fedora-list is expanded to the individual
> recipients. So fetchmail won't assume that line is any use to it.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

Thanks for the input.
-Matt
--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.