Firewall & Routing - help!

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 08:59:39 UTC 2004

Kevin F. Berrien wrote:
> With the help of many on the previous thread (Firewall - Very limited
> Access - suggestions), I've built my firewall using fwbuilder & FC1.  At
> present I've got it set up in a test environment.  The firewall seems to
> be operating correctly with one exception, but my real problem is with
> my routing.  I've always been terrible with routing....  At present, I
> can't traverse from a workstation on the "internal" subnet to host on
> "external" subnet, or internet.
>
> I am not using NAT on this firewall, it just bridges two subnets -

Just a note to point out that a "bridge" connects two segments of the *same*
subnet; a router routes between different networks (including sub-nets). So
your firewall is actually routing between the subnets, not bridging them.

If you've checked the "bridging firewall" option in fwbuilder you should
turn it off, if fwbuilder thinks it's a bridging firewall it may generate
incorrect rules.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555