Fedora Core 2 upgrade FAILURE--

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 11 22:17:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 12:50:25PM -0700, Richard Emberson wrote:

> SUCCESS (see below)
>

> Richard Emberson wrote:
> >I have an older machine that can not boot from cdrom. Also, I had
> >some user data in one of the accounts.

> using it to replace disk2
> and did a redhat 9.0 on my old machine.
> I then mounted FC2 disc1 and copied vmlinux and initrd as described
> above. I then via grub booted using the FC2 code and did a full
> install. It worked. Now I can just replace the new disk2 with the
> old and the upgrade is complete.

I was going to suggest using a RH9 boot/recovery floppy.  Since the
filesystem has not changed you should have been able to use the old
RH9 recovery tools to move, copy and edit text files.

You might test this idea and if it works keep the older recovery
floppy set handy just in case.

There are still some worthy boxes out there that do not boot from
CDROM.   I suspect that someone will decompose the boot process so
floppys can be made to work but until then....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l