Overriding defaults for postgresql

Joe Conway mail at joeconway.com
Sat Jun 12 11:26:28 UTC 2004

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> What is the recommended way of overriding default options fro
> postgresql?
> I want to enable the use of tcp connections, and also to change the
> default port.
>
> I see there is an empty directory, /etc/sysconfig/pgsql. I think I
> have to place a file in there, but I am not sure what it should be
> called, or the format of it's contents.
>
> Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

By default you should find postgresql.conf in /var/lib/pgsql/data. It
won't be there until you've initialized the cluster by starting the
postgresql service the first time.

The file is somewhat self documenting, but for details see:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/runtime-config.html

HTH,

Joe