sendmail problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 12 17:32:22 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 10:15, Don Dupy wrote:
> make sure you have your client pc in your /etc/mail/access file.
> mine looks like so.......
>
> # Check the /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf file for a description
> # of the format of this file. (search for access_db in that file)
> # The /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf is part of the sendmail-doc
> # package.
> #
> # by default we allow relaying from localhost...
> localhost.localdomain           RELAY
> localhost                       RELAY
> 127.0.0.1                       RELAY
> 192.168.0                       RELAY   <client IP addresses>
>
> then do a m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
> then /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>
> > OK.  I can access access port 110, but when I try to send mail from this
> > address to michael at espersunited.com (my primary email address under my
> > domain) the mail gets returned with this error:
> >
> > Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
> > The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
> > each recipient was rejected.
> >
> >     Recipient: <michael at espersunited.com>
> >     Reason:    5.7.1 <michael at espersunited.com>... Relaying denied.
> > Proper authentication required.
> >
> > Also, whenever I try to send email from michael at espersunited.com I get
> > this error:
> >
> > Unable to authenticate to SMTP server.
> > Bad authentication response from server.
> >

> > Please enter the SMTP password for michael at smtp.espersunited.com
> >
> > I changed the password in the text box to the password I use on the
> > client PC, but it won't accept it.  Mail worked just fine on my server
> > PC (until it went down due to hardware problems), which was running
> > RH9.  I made nightly backups of the /etc directory on the server PC.
> > Then I backed up /etc/mail on my client PC (which runs Fedora Core 1)
> > and extracted the server PC's backed up /etc/mail files into my client's
> > /etc/mail.  What am I doing wrong?  Can anyone help me with this?
----
I hate to reply to top posted replies...

I don't think authentication works out of the box on sendmail.

I think you can remove the comments (dnl at the start) of the following
lines from /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
dnl TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

or you can tell your mail clients not to use authentication (used to be
the default configuration for mail clients but I have noticed recent
versions of Netscape default to on)

It is up to you to determine which mechanisms are appropriate and how to
configure them - there is a lot of documentation on sendmail -
especially authentication methods.

if you edit sendmail.mc file, all you should need to do after that is to
issue
make -C /etc/mail
to get the changes implemented

Craig