disk partition probs - FC2 install

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jun 12 18:33:58 UTC 2004

On Saturday 12 June 2004 13:55, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>> This is the result of using Disk Druid to partition the disk, and
>> its the reason I constantly complain about this piece of software
>> that RedHat has impoesed on us.
>
>Not true. Disk Druid does not mix the partitions that way. The OP
> very certainly did use other tools, namely from the DOS/Windows[tm]
> world, like Partition Magic. Shall we bet?
>
>>                                         Reg.Clemens
>
>Alexander

Sorry Alexander, but I too have seen disk druid play mix-n-match with
my partitions, not only moving the order around, but the linkage
names too.  I've had it move my /usr (40Gb or more) to a 50 meg
partition!

I consider it broken in every sense of the word and will not allow it
to scribble anywhere near my drives because of this.

I very carefully setup the 1st and second partitions on my drives as
100 megs for hda1=/boot, 50 megs for hda2=/dos, then the rest of the
assignables like 300 megs as /etc on hda3, etc for 4Gb as /root on
hda5, etc for a 1 Gb /opt on hda6, etc for a 30Gb / on hda7 and
finally using the remainder of the drive which may be 60+ gigs
as /usr on /hda8.

First off it won't allow the /boot named partition to not be a
directory of /, and there isn't any good reason I can see for that
restriction.  If there is, please explain it to me.  AFAIK, it could
actually be on a different physical drive as still be 100%
functional.

So I use fdisk to setup any new drives well before an install, and if
needed, anaconda can format them.  I keep hoping that druid will get
fixed, I rather like its user interface.  But what it really really
should be is a gui for fdisk, which so far hasn't suffered from any
such arbitraryness, absent-mindedness or dementia that I'm aware of.

An old farts $0.02 in this subject.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)