Placing dirve icons on Desktop

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sun Jun 13 00:30:33 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 08:15 -0700, Mac wrote:
> I have both of my windows vfat drives mounted
> automatically but I can't place an icon for either of
> them on the gnome desktop.  In FC1 it was simple, the
> OS did it for me but in FC2 that doesn't seem the case
> at all.  Are there any hints or statements that would
> accomplish this feat?  I would like to double click on
> the icon instead of going through the many clicks in
> the file browser.

GNOME 2.4 (FC1) would add an icon to the desktop for disks that have the
user or owner options.  If user was specified then all users would see
the device.  If owner then only the owner of the /dev entry for that
device would see the device.  If you can see the device it means you can
mount/unmount the device.  This appears to hold true for GNOME 2.6 but
I'm not certain.  Example of the owner option (from /etc/fstab):
  /dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

In GNOME 2.6 (FC2), if you don't care about being able to mount/unmount
the device you can use the "Connect to Server" feature in the computer:
location.  Open Computer on the desktop (nautilus computer:), select
"File" menu then the "Connect to Server" item.  Give it a Link Name such
as "Windows Disk" and set the Location to "file:///mnt/dos" or whatever
the mount point is.

If you don't care about mount/unmount...  Then a third option that works
for either GNOME version is to manually browse to /mnt and drag the
Windows mount point to your desktop with the middle mouse button.  When
you release the button it will popup a menu offering Move, Copy, Link.
Select Link and it will place a symbolic link to the mount point on your
desktop.  You can then rename the link to whatever you choose.  You
could also right click, select properties and change the icon to
something more appropriate than a folder.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/