problem login as root

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Sun Jun 13 04:28:31 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-06 at 23:11 -0500, EcK3kO [-_-] wrote:
> im new on linux and there are some aplication that doesnt run on a terminal
> but need root permision so i cant use "su" what do i have to do:? before i
> just login as root thats all....

Everything can be executed from a terminal.  You just need to know what
the program's path is.  How you find that out depends largely on whether
you're using GNOME or KDE as a desktop... in GNOME it's as easy as
right-clicking on the icon for the app you want and selecting
"Properties" -- the name will be in the "Command" field.  Then just go
to a terminal and type "locate {whatever the command was}".

As a general rule, though, most applications do not need to be run as
root... so what is it exactly that you're trying to do?

> even thought you said is a bad habit login as root i dont like that
> something goes wrong on my linux i just want to fix the problem so please
> help me....

If you tell us what the problem is, maybe we can give you some
meaningful guidance.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves