[FC2] Toshiba Laptop Unexpectedly Powers Off

Ben Brown xthor at xthorsworld.com
Sun Jun 13 05:40:24 UTC 2004

I am having a really weird problem with FC2, and I'm hoping someone here
can help me think of other ways to troubleshoot this problem. I've got a
Toshiba Satellite 1135-S1552 that I've been using under Fedora Core 1
since it's release date without a problem. Recently I backed up my FC1
installation and did a clean install of FC2. Things work great, except
for one pretty major irritation: Under FC2, my laptop will suddenly
power itself off, but only when running on battery power. I am unable to
figure out exactly where the problem lies. So far, I've tried:

* recompiling the kernel (source from kernel.org)
* reinstalling from different CDs (mediacheck clears)
* using a different window manager (gnome, KDE, enlightenment)
* booting to Knoppix and testing there

I've checked /var/log/acpid, /var/log/messages, and /var/log/boot.log
for any possible clues, but I saw NOTHING that indicated what was
causing the machine to power off.

Initially, I thought that something must have changed in ACPI in kernel
2.6, but Knoppix 3.4 (booted to the 2.6 kernel) works fine. The laptop
also has an XP Pro partition and a FC1 partition, and the problem
doesn't exhibit itself on either of these operating systems, which seems
to rule out the possibility of a hardware issue.

If any of you have ANY ideas as far as other things I can troubleshoot,
I'd love to hear them. Thanks for your help.
--
--------
Ben Brown
xthor at xthorsworld.com