Removing rpm from database

maynard at kopano.uct.ac.za maynard at kopano.uct.ac.za
Sun Jun 13 15:41:11 UTC 2004

I am having a little trouble with some packages on my system

Inkscape requires and old version of libsigc++, and I have the new version
installed. I have downloaded the old libsigc++ and exracted the rpm to the
correct locations so that I can use inkscape at all. so there are a few things I
would lke to be able to do. Please note that is is not possible to compile
inkscape against a new libsigc++. The library is a rewrite, and it breaks
inkscape, so the old version is the only way to get it going. I would like to do
one of the following.

a)

How can I strip the dependency information from the inkscape rpms i have
downloaded, so that I can just install inkscape without getting apt/yum a bit
confused for the sake of updating.

Or,

b)

Is it possible to install inkscape and remove the package from the rpm database
without actually uninstalling it, i.e., remove the record that it was installed.
This way I could then install it using nodeps and remove it later if I need to
upgrade the package and so on.

Please note that I have gotten inkscape to work, but the way it is right now, it
makes upgrades a hassle, so I would like a 'cleaner' solution.