Xine under Fedora Core 2

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 13 16:57:29 UTC 2004

hicham wrote:

>I made a yum install xine  on FC2
>
>but couldn't play a dvd , I get
>"Xine engine error"
>"There is no input plugin available to handle dvd:/"
>
>installed mplayer as well
>" couldn't open DVD device "
>

> --- Peter Silcock <smallcreep at quista.net> a écrit : >
>I also have brw against /dev/hdc with a symbolic
>

>>link from /dev/dvd.  My
>>problem was that I didn't remove the ide=scsi option
>>from grub.conf when
>>I upgraded from FC1.  Once I removed that everything
>>was fine (almost) -
>>though I don't use kaffeine.
>>
>>Peter Silcock
>>
>>Ian Hilliard wrote:
>>

>>>Has anyone been able to get xine / kaffeine
>>>

>>running under Fedora Core
>>

>>>2. I have been looking at the problem for a couple
>>>

>>of days now. The
>>

>>>problem appears to be with accessing the DVD
>>>

>>drive. Mplayer on the
>>

>>>other hand has no problems.
>>>
>>>I'm sure that I am just missing something. I first
>>>

>>installed fedora
>>

>>>over my RH9 installation and xine worked very
>>>

>>well. Unfortunately the
>>

>>>installation was such a train wreck in so many
>>>

>>other areas. Now
>>

>>>kaffeine believes that it has insufficient rights
>>>

>>to access the drive
>>

>>>although ls -l indicates that /dev/hdc is
>>>

>>brw------- . I figure that
>>

>>>should be sufficient.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have an idea where else to look for
>>>

>>the problem?
>>

>>>Ian
>>>

>>--
>>

>Yahoo! Mail : votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout !
>Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/
>
>Dialoguez en direct avec vos amis grâce à Yahoo! Messenger !Téléchargez Yahoo! Messenger sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

You need to know what is the correct device name of your dvd drive and
then make a link to it,  check it out by using the Main menu->System
Tools->Hardware Browser->CD rom drives, highlite the dvd drive, and look
at below- Device information, you will see the device name of the dvd
drive (Example /dev/scd0, be aware of this because different machine can
probe your physical dvd drive as different device and yours may be
detected such as /dev/hdc, so you must know what exactly you physical
dvd drive is detected as). Now go to command line (Main menu->System
tools->Terminal), and use the command " ln -s /dev/scd0     /dev/dvd",
this will make a link to dvd device which was not there by default.By
now,  if you have installed the MPlayer (correctly), then you can fire
it up to play dvd. I belive same will work for xine.