[FC2] PCMCIA network cards starting on boot

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sun Jun 13 18:24:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 19:06, William Hooper wrote:

> IIRC it has been this way at least since RH 7.3, maybe longer (looking
> at bugzilla, longer).  Normally it would just cause the network script
> to complain because the interface isn't there, but with FC2 it can
> cause the PCMCIA subsystem to not start correctly.

Well it's that latter part that seems to be serious. In RHL9 the network
would attempt to come up before PCMCIA was started and apparently would
just wait patiently without complaint until it was.

> Browsing a few bugzilla entries shows that moving the script doesn't
> always fix the issue:
>
> "Because of the way pcmcia works, the ethernet initialization is done
> in background and there is not much one can do to find out when the
> network is up and running."

In the short term we need to think of something -- perhaps just a
warning when anaconda or firstboot (I can't remember which it is) asks
about which network interfaces you want started on boot. I've been using
Linux long enough to not be overly phased by these things and knew where
to try and search for an answer.

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com