[FC2] PCMCIA network cards starting on boot

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jun 13 18:36:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 14:06, William Hooper wrote:

> IIRC it has been this way at least since RH 7.3, maybe longer (looking at bugzilla, longer).  Normally it would just cause the network script to complain because the interface isn't there, but with FC2 it can cause the PCMCIA subsystem to not start correctly.
>
> Browsing a few bugzilla entries shows that moving the script doesn't always fix the issue:
>
> "Because of the way pcmcia works, the ethernet initialization is done in background and there is not much one can do to find out when the network is up and running."
>
> The answer for the multiple NIC situation is to not insert the NIC you don't want started.
>
> --
> William Hooper

Sounds like this has been a problem for awhile now.  So far there are
workarounds for this but not a solution IMHO.  I just hope the
workaround does not cause the report in bugzilla to be marked as fixed.
This still needs to get attention at some point.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they all own cats.