DHCP for multiple subnets (was: Re: Routing and bandwidth problem)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Jun 13 23:04:47 UTC 2004

At 13:41 6/13/2004, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 01:08:32PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> >         1. You *should* configure your dhcpd.conf for every subnet on
> > which your server has an interface even if the DHCP server does not assign
> > addresses (i.e. the subnet block does not include a range statement).
>
>No need, you can specify the interfaces that the dhcp server will listen
>on in /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd:
>DHCPDARGS="eth1 eth2"

Entirely separate and different topics, even though you are correct. In my
case I have eth0 to the Internet and eth1-eth4 to the local networks. I
*do* have dhcpd set to listen on every interface *except* eth0. Wouldn't
want to attempt to serve DHCP to my Internet Service Provider.

However, what I said above refers to the fact that dhcpd *must* know about
every subnet configured on the box even if it does not assign addresses on
that subnet or listen on that interface. Why? Apparently (according to its
maintainers) matching the subnet with the interface is how it determines
with certainty which address to assign.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz