[OT]DVD-ROM supports DVD+ or -R ??

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon Jun 14 03:06:19 UTC 2004

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>Guys,
>
>	I have a matshita ujda740 DVD-ROM/CDRW drive on my laptop (D600)
>
>There's a plextor DVD+/-RW writer in the office and I wonder what
>sort/how to find out the compatiblity between disc written in the +R or
>-R format and whether the laptop dvd-rom drive can read it.
>
>What's the best "rule-of-thumb" to figure out compability?
>
>I wish they would get their act together and not make end-users when up
>with a betamax vs vhs war!!

 From what I read , -R has about 90% compatibility and +R has 80%... But
so far I've only tested -R (+R media is hard to find here...). On all
drives that I tested , it worked perfectly. From my old dvd drive to my
dvd player (which is at least 3 years old) , all managed to read DVD-RW
media...  So I believe the best choice is -R. (But I reccomend getting a
-RW disc first to test...)

--
Pedro Macedo