files destined for kernel debuginfo rpm caused rpmbuild to fail

Georgoulias Tom-rn0621 Tom.Georgoulias at freescale.com
Mon Jun 14 12:42:36 UTC 2004

Last night I was trying to merge in the patch for bug #125824 to prevent
pppd from hogging all of my CPU.  I grabbed the SRPM for the latest FC2
stable kernel, edited the spec file to include the patch, and used this
command to build everything:

rpmbuild --ba --target i686 kernel-2.6.spec

The SRPM creation was fine, but I got these errors instead of a working RPM.

Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files
/var/tmp/kernel-2.6.6-1.427.pppd_patch.tomg-root
error: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
    /usr/lib/debug/boot/System.map-2.6.6-1.427.pppd_patch.tomg
    /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.427.pppd_patch.tomg/vmlinux

RPM build errors:
     Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
    /usr/lib/debug/boot/System.map-2.6.6-1.427.pppd_patch.tomg
    /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.427.pppd_patch.tomg/vmlinux

I was able to build the RPM once I commented out the liness in the spec
file that create copies of the System.map and vmlinux specifically for
the debuginfo RPM, but I don't understand why a debug RPM wasn't created
during the first attempt just as a matter of course.  Do I need
something else installed besides the usual rpm-* packages to make this
go more smoothly in the future?  I did a CD based FC1 -> FC2 upgrade
that went pretty flawlessly, so I don't think I left anything out.

Tom
--
Tom Georgoulias
POPI Classification