DHCP for multiple subnets (was: Re: Routing and bandwidth problem)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Jun 14 13:17:34 UTC 2004

At 06:36 6/14/2004, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 05:04:47PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > However, what I said above refers to the fact that dhcpd *must* know about
> > every subnet configured on the box even if it does not assign addresses on
> > that subnet or listen on that interface. Why? Apparently (according to its
> > maintainers) matching the subnet with the interface is how it determines
> > with certainty which address to assign.
>
>No, there's no need to have a subnet configured for an interface that
>the server isn't listening on.
>
>It would be a nightmare otherwise, in my case, as the eth2 interface is
>connected to the internet with a dynamic ip, and it often changes
>networks.

I'll try to be a little more specific: if you want dhcpd to accurately
assign addresses to requests coming in on any or nearly any interface, what
I was told by some of its maintainers just a few days ago is that the
correct procedure is to let dhcpd know about any and all
statically-configured subnets on that box. For example, even if I don't
assign IP addresses on my Internet link with a static IP address, dhcpd
would like me to let it know about that subnet anyway to avoid confusion
(subnet without range).

Better for you that way?

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz