VMware Workstation 4.5.2 won't install VMware Tools (FC2 host, Windows guestt>

Ed Gurski ed at gurski.com
Mon Jun 14 13:56:15 UTC 2004

> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:04:56 +0100
> From: "D. D. Brierton" <darren at dzr-web.com>
> Subject: Re: VMware Workstation 4.5.2 won't install VMware Tools (FC2
> 	host, 	Windows guest)
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 02:39, Robert Locke wrote:
>
> > At least it's working and is just an annoying message, right?  :-)
>
> Uhhmmm ... well no not anymore :-(
>
> I got up today and went to start vmware and it wouldn't start. I tried
> restarting the vmware service and then starting vmware from a terminal
> and this was the output:
>
> $ sudo /sbin/service vmware restart
> Password:
> Stopping VMware services:
>    Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
>    Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                       [  OK  ]
>    DHCP server on /dev/vmnet1                              [  OK  ]
>    SMB share server on /dev/vmnet1                         [  OK  ]
>    SMB name server on /dev/vmnet1                          [  OK  ]
>    Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1                     [  OK  ]
>    DHCP server on /dev/vmnet8                              [  OK  ]
>    NAT service on /dev/vmnet8                              [  OK  ]
>    Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8                     [  OK  ]
>    Virtual ethernet                                        [  OK  ]
> Starting VMware services:
>    Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
>    Virtual ethernet     2.6.6-1.427                                   [  OK  ]
>    Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                       [  OK  ]
>    Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 (background)        [  OK  ]
>    Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background)        [  OK  ]
>    NAT service on /dev/vmnet8                              [  OK  ]
>
> $ vmware
> NOT_REACHED F(4518):390
>

> VMware Workstation Error:
> VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vmui)
> NOT_REACHED F(4518):390
> Please request support.  We will respond on the basis of your support
> entitlement.
>
> Press "Enter" to continue...Aborted
>
> I think it is a problem with pre-linking. I think I'll start a separate
> thread on this so that this one doesn't go off topic.
>
> Best, Darren

Darren:

The latest version is VMware-workstation-4.5.2-8848. I am running this
on the 2.6.6-1.427 kernel without any problems.

This was brought to my attention in an earlier post this past weekend.
Unfortunately my Linux server at work had a network connection problem,
so I cannot tell you the name of the thread.

I also had a problem on one of my virtual Windoze (XP Pro) machines  --
could not install VMware tools (my W2K was fine). This happened because
I had removed the CDROM. After adding it back, I still had problems, so
I created a new virtual machine, backed-up the current one, and then
decided to upgrade the virtual hardware... That did the trick...

All others --- if you are using VMware workstation, make sure you
install the latest.

Ed