bootdisk

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Mon Jun 14 17:34:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 07:59, Paulo Kinouchi wrote:
> Have you tried to boot from another CD?
> Maybe the problem is the disc, and not the drive... happened many time with me...
> PK

>  My CD-rom is not bootable to any softwares. I tried changing the bios to boot
> from cd-rom, but no luck. The only way I can install any OS is to use a
> floppy boot disk.
>
> The instructions on how to make a bootdisk for Redhat linux does not work
> Fedora Core 2 diskboot.img. So how do I make a bootdisk for Fedora Core 2 ?

	If your BIOS has a place to set the CD-ROM as a boot device you should
be able to boot from it.  What makes you sure that you can't?  Assuming
you tried to boot from it, you might investigate the disk you tried to
boot.

	It has been widely reported that the linux kernel is now too large to
fit on a floppy, which is why they don't make a boot floppy any more.
There is a disk image made for USB flash drives and the like on the
first CD. if your machine can boot from a USB device (most machines in
the last 2 - 3 years should be able to do this.

	I still think your best bet is to get your CD to boot.  Did you burn
the iso as an image? if you open up the disk do you see multiple files
or just the Tettnang.iso?

Good Luck

Scott