RH/FC: Mouse loses sense of location via use of console switchers

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Jun 14 18:20:48 UTC 2004

At 10:55 6/14/2004, Dan Thurman wrote:
>For those of you who have a battery of servers, and make
>use of a common mouse-keyboard-monitor switcher (aka Belkin
>or similar devices) you might notice that if you switch from
>one server console to another console (that is to redhat/fedora)
>the mouse cursor looses all sense of location and gets *really*
>screwed up.  I have not been able to "reset" the mouse cursor
>to a "sane" position without being forced to reboot the system
>if I want to be able to log into the system.

IIRC, nearly everyone who had this problem was using cheap (read,
low-quality) KVM switches. OTOH, people who are using better-quality gear
and people who switch to better-quality gear generally do not have the same
problem.

Avocent (née Cybex) switches come highly recommended and work well; I have
two myself. Other very good brands should be just as reliable.

Cheers,

>Thanks to all that have responded in advance,
>~Dan

If anyone has responded in advance, I'd sure like to know how they did it.
<smile>

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com