VMware Workstation 4.5.2 won't install VMware Tools (FC2 host, Windows guest)

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Mon Jun 14 21:46:39 UTC 2004

Joe et al.,

Apparently my problem was a little more severe....

My WinXPPro guest was originally created under FC1 (where my kernel was
booting with the parameter of hdc=ide-scsi).

I did a fresh install of FC2 and copied my home directory along with the
old WinXPPro Guest VM.  I reinstalled VMWare 4.5.1 and it worked fine
under the original FC2 kernel (or so I believed....).  However, it still
believed my CDROM was SCSI not IDE since I was now running a 2.6
kernel.  Anyways, I had yet to use the CD under the VM since my needed
apps were all there and network connectivity worked.....

So it turns out that my inability to "upgrade VMWare Tools" was
introduced when I first upgraded to FC2....

Anyway, it turns out that yes the new version of VMWare 4.5.2 build 8848
is fine (at least for me) under FC2 as a host.

To fix my problem, on a WinXPPro guest, I simply needed to uninstall
VMWare Tools from the guest, reboot the VM, and then the menu option of
VM - Install VM Tools auto-launched the D:\setup.exe just fine.
Apparently resetting itself to use the IDE component to access the CD
instead of SCSI.

BTW, another symptom I noticed before fixing this was that under the VM
Guest (WinXPPro), when I looked under My Computer the "Devices with
Removable Storage" did not report itself as a CD Drive but simply as a
disk.

Anywho, hopefully this will help some of you out.  I am not sure about
the pre-linking problem as I have not made any changes from the default
FC2, and life (knock on wood) seems to be progressing.... though I do
think I will wait a day or two before jumping on today's kernel release
(435).

HTH,

--Rob