Can I share a modem with a windows machine?

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 15 10:51:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 05:07, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
> Peter Boy wrote:
> > Am Di, den 15.06.2004 schrieb A.J. Bonnema um 10:35:
> >
> >>How can I share a modem with a windows machine?
> >

> > In terms of a locally available remote resource (to establish a point to
> > point connection between your windows machine and a target) you are out
> > of luck, as to my knowledge.
>
> I hope I understand you here. I want to use the modem connected to my
> linux machine, from a different windows machine (which has no modem).
> You are saying that is not possible?
>
> My thinking was, the modem presents a serial interface, just like a
> keyboard or a mouse. So probably it shouldn't be too difficult to
> realize a connection (or is it?).
>
> Does anyone know if this has ever been tried?

For what reason do you want to share the modem?  To get a terminal from
the Windows box to some dial-up site, to establish a PPP connection to
your ISP, please explain.

Sharing a PPP connection is certainly possible through iptables and
NAT.  If you want a terminal interface to some remote site you could SSH
(using e.g. putty) from windows to Linux and use minicom from there.  If
you want to connect a windows specific application to a modem to a
remote site, then you are out of luck (AFAIK), but (win)modems are
pretty cheap.  You could get another modem.

Bob...