[FC2] ISA cards not detected....

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 15 11:10:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 06:35, antonio montagnani wrote:
> Bob Chiodini wrote/ha scritto, On/il 15/06/2004 12:23:
>
> >On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 15:55, antonio montagnani wrote:
> >

> >>Yes.....I didn't get any clue for ISA soundcard.....any idea???
> >>
> >>--
> >>

> >Antonio,
> >
> >What is the problem?  What happens when you run
> >/usr/bin/system-config-soundcard?
> >
> >It might be that all of your mixers are muted.  Try alsamixer and unmute
> >the individual controls.
> >
> >Bob...
> >

> Here is the output.....
>
> /usr/bin/system-config-soundcard
>
> (system-config-soundcard.py:2558): Gtk-WARNING **:
> /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines/libredmond95.so: undefined symbol:
> gtk_widget_get_direction

I don't know what this is.  I do not think it is fatal.

> and I get a warnin that no soundcard is detected (also in Hardware
> browser I do not see any card...): shall I go and buy a PCI souncard???  ;-)

That's what I would do.  But first, try playing with the PNP settings in
the BIOS.  Also make sure you have an interrupt and DMA available for
the sound card.  That, too, is somewhere in the BIOS, possibly.  Last,
try /sbin/modprobe snd-sbawe and look at /var/log/messages.  There maybe
a clue as to what is happening.

The sound system software changed in FC2 from OSS to ALSA
(http://alsa-project.org/).  I would check there for supported cards
before buying a new one.

> Of course everything is fine after replacing the ISA network adapter
> with a PCI network

I am glad to hear the network now works.  What brand of cards did you
buy?  In case I need some new ones.

> Tnx for help

Bob...