changing bootloaders in FC2

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jun 15 13:36:31 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 15.06.2004 schrieb Globe Trotter um 15:09:

> Sorry, but how/where do I get a hardware RAID adapter? I presume there are also
> directions for installing it?

For which reason do you want RAID? Is it a critical production system
which must run and where downtime costs money? Then kick away your cheap
controller and by a more expensive one where the chipset runs the RAID
logic. Adaptec offers you such high price RAID controllers as well as
3Ware.

With such real hardware RAID adapters you only see the RAID array and no
single drives. You set up all RAID functions in the controller BIOS and
you need no OS driver to have RAID functions. I.e. the 3Ware controllers
are auto detected by Fedora Linux and you do not have to care for the
RAID setup once you told the controller how to behave in it's BIOS.

On the other hand, if you are a home user such hardware RAID controllers
are mostly too expensive. Then just use Linux software RAID.

Ok, I feel you got enough explanations. If still unsure please search
this list's archive and do google search. The thing is really simple.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 15:30:35 up 11:57, 8 users, 0.33, 0.31, 0.32