prelink breaks VMware 4.5.2 on FC2?

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 15:20:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:37:56 +0100, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:02:59 -0500, dsavage wrote:

>> I cannot get the VMware Tools (needed for runlevel 5) to install under
>> FC2 at runlevel 3.

> OK, you got me interested. I'll try this here myself. Tomorrow ... need
> sleeeeeeeeppppp zzzzzzzzzzz.

Well, fully awake though I am, I also cannot get this to work.

There's an unofficial patch to the vmware-tools install script, and
various changes that need to be made to the X server's config, but it
still doesn't work.

I'm not enthusiastic enough about the whole thing to bother trying any
further, because:

 . vmware is useful for installing a guest Windows system, for the very
 rare occasion that I need to use it (i.e. - not worth wasting a
 partition on), but seems pointless for guest Linux installs. Installing
 Linux natively is much easier, faster and more reliable.

 . FC2 is unusably slow as a VMWare guest.

 . I'm very reluctant to waste a lot of time debugging somebody else's
 commercial software for free.

Other than the novelty value, I fail to see the point of installing
recursively (i.e. Linux on Linux, or Windows on Windows).

Linux on Windows is certainly a good way of promoting Linux to the
uninitiated, although the incredibly slow speed might tend to put people
off.

Windows on Linux is currently the only configuration that interests me,
and even then, only until Linux catches up with multimedia authoring
applications on other platforms.

-
K.