sound-juicer doesn't retrieve CD info...

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Tue Jun 15 17:36:54 UTC 2004

Brian Anderson wrote:
> Yes grip works, but sound-juicer does not.  Is this a gstreamer thing?
>
> serge pynte wrote:
>
>> Op di 15-06-2004, om 15:25 schreef Brian Anderson:
>>

>>> After one of my recent yum updates,  sound-juicer has stopped
>>> fetching CD information.  When I ask it to reread a cd it pauses for
>>> a while and then give me the message "This CD could not be queried:
>>> Cannot send/receive to/from server" on the terminal.  I haven't
>>> changed my cd database preferences and when I checked them they
>>> looked ok (I even switched to a set server from round robin, but to
>>> no avail). XMMS can fetch CD info fine.
>>>
>>> This is happening on two different machines.  I was fetching from
>>> additional repositories (freshrpms, newrpms, and dag), but I moved
>>> back to a stock sound-juicer on one machine but it exhibits the same
>>> behavior.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else experience this?  Any hints on where to look for the
>>> problem?
>>>
>>> -Brian
>>>

>> I had the same prob today don't know how what happend... I used grip and
>> everything is fine with grip.

I've tested this with sound-juicer as well as running tcpdump. I'm no
expert at tcpdump, but it seems that when you read the cd, it only tries
to connect to a mm.musicbrainz.org. I don't see any connection attempt
to freedb.org or any of the alternatives I've set my preferences at.
Anyway, musicbrainz.org resolves correctly to its IP address, but it
seems that the host is down.

Will have to check bugzilla and see if this has been filed. Anyway, can
anyone verify what I am seeing (the connections only going to
musicbrainz.org)? It seems this has been hardcoded into sound-juicer for
FC2.

dex