How to disable beep altogether

lwj wayne at zkcelltest.com
Tue Jun 15 18:45:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 10:32, Wayne Steenburg wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 21:31, Troy Campano wrote:
> > Hello, how can I disable my system beep noise without unplugging the
> > speaker itself? I've been able to disable to I don't hear it at the
> > login screen, and I don't hear it in my terminal, but I do still hear it
> > in certain programs (like oracle tools, eclipse, etc, etc).
> >
> > Maybe I can disable a driver or something so it doesn't work?
> >

> > Your help is appreciated.
> >
> > thank you!
> >
> > ~ Troy Campano ~
>
> If memory serves me correct if you unload the pcspkr (or similar) module
> that will eliminate it. There's probably a cleaner way though.

I don't remember where it is exactly, I have found it before using
Google, but there is an X configuration file that needs to be changed to
permanently disable the beep at login. I had this problem with FC1, a
load beep is rather embarrassing when your studying in the library, but
I do not get the beep in FC2. I have seen some people desperately trying
to get it turned on so I know that there has been quite a bit of
discussion with regard to this and FC2.