FSCK

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jun 15 19:31:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 17:11, littleguru wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have several questons:
> 1-when I  start mylinux server and it said that it was not shutdown
> properly , do you want to check ?
> but I ran fsck manually before and it shouldn't ask me any more. is
> there any difference between fsck at startup and the one I ran in
> maintenance mode, because the server couldnt boot and entered in
> maintenace mode.
----
maintenance mode is manual
e2fsck /dev/hda1
e2fsck /dev/hda2
etc. you are expected to know which partitions you are using, swap isn't
a partition that has a file system per se.
if you are at all unclear, answer yes at startup to have it check/repair
all known filesystems
----
> 2-In maintenance mode is it necessary to umount the device ?and how can
> I find that which device is mounted ?
----
typically, /boot is the first partition and it mounts before all the
others i.e. /dev/hda1  -  skip that for now.
----
> 3- can I find another software other  than fsck  to check and solve
> hardware problem ?
----
file system repair tools do not solve hardware problem. There are
probably others but it's always been good enough for me
----
> I found knoppix but dont have any experience with that .
> 4-what is the best way to transfer data from crashed hard to the new one?
> fsdump ? or just cp ?I use fedora core one and need some thing that
> untar or restore every thing
> on home directory .
----
I use cp